Sunday, October 14, 2007

Chapter 2 of TDoEDT leads in by describing some common mishaps when using devices. He focused on "naive physics", whereby a user will tend to make incorrect assumptions about how things work. Also, he discussed how people tend to blame themselves for their misconceptions (even if by all available evidence they were correct). There was also the concepts of helplessness. In learned helplessness the user, after many failures, concludes that something cannot be done. In taught helplessness however, Donald asserts that poor design teaches users to be helpless by not allowing them to access the correct function of a device.

Next, he explores the "7 stages of action" broken down from 3 stages. You create a goal, and then in a circular feedback loop system of response and action execute actions and evaulate results.

Some quotes that made me go hmmmmm:


"Opportunistic actions are less precise and certain than specified goals, and intentions, but they result in less mental effort, less inconvenience, and perhaps more interest."

Norman, TDoEDT pg46


This could explain partially why students often exceed expectations on creative projects where they get interested. I've noticed many times when I teach a project in art class a kid may not do good work, but then will do an awesome job on something they thought to do themselves, even though they received no directed instruction.

"We may respond to the the events of the world...rather than to think out plans and goals"

This makes sense from the constructivist or collaborative stand points as an educator. Our job as instructor is to create an immersive environment and give things to respond to and gain interest in?

Norman, TDoEDT pg46



"Well in a little while, it won't matter. There won't be any film, just videotape"

Norman, TDoEDT pg51



Don't projectors in theaters still use reels of film, but have auto loaders?

On an aside, I started creating play lists in youtube to add to my class webpages for "how-to" stuff!. Like below, which I will then put into a webpage with descriptions. Ain't modern technology great?

http://noyesfamily.com/phil/BGHS/videos.htm






2 comments:

K.E.nn. said...

I have to agree that poor design often leads to self helplessness. For example, in my high school Spanish course, my teacher was so horrible I didn't learn a thing in that class, initially I was blaming myself for it, but as I found out, it wasn't me, a lot of students were struggling too. Thus, it was probably bad instruction design. To this day, I still have nightmare learning another foreign language.

Come and See Africa said...

I love your animation! It is funny and to the point. Also, thank you for the pottery tutorial links. What a great way to use Youtube!