Monday, October 8, 2007

My microwave


Let me first say: I like my Microwave. It works very well and for the most part is easy to use. There is however, one fundamental flaw to its design that has led to me forming a slightly unusual habit.

It has a great feature, the add 30 second button. You hit it, it beeps, it not only adds 30 seconds to the timer but starts the microwave. It also has a hot water and popcorn preset. I use this button 95% of the time with the microwave.

The problem: I will even use this when it is a 10 minute timer (at 20 button clicks). Why you may ask?

Simple, otherwise you have to remember to hit power to set the power, before you can set the timer (or is it the other way? See I forget again). Since I never remember, and I end up hitting the wrong button first EVERY time (5 or 6 times really since it doesn't register to me at first why it is not beeping) I've just formed the habit of setting the time with the 30 second button.

Conceptually this is such an easy fix it is laughable to consider. Just make it so that either the power or timer button can be the first one to press and then be able to set the other. Thank goodness the defrost control makes sense, because I use that most of the time for long time settings!

Ok so in the lingo of the Book:

In terms of mapping it is reasonably clear and organized assuming you have used a microwave before. If I were a first time user I might have trouble figuring out how to open it. the open button is very large and allows you to push it in more deeply with gives some idea of what you are supposed to do.

There is clear text to explain usage and there is feedback when you hit a button and it does something (BEEP) and feedback when you open the door. There is an absence of feedback when you hit a button that has no effect, which is probably why I hit it like 5 times before I realize I am using the wrong one first.

I tried 3 other microwaves at work today. They all worked this same way! Clearly I need to design one that doesn't do this and have the world beat a path to my door...

1 comment:

K.E.nn. said...

I totally agree with you, I used to have that microwave too, and with me also, I use that "add 30 sec button" 99% of the time. Even if it is for 10 mins!