Thursday, September 20, 2007

Last minute post!

I've been slowly working my way through the article Bloggers: Portrait of America’s new storytellers. I actually took a bunch of notes and jotted down some thoughts (no not on paper, in notepad of course). then I started reading the new Harry Potter book Saturday night, which I finished last night at 1am. So, that's my excuse for posting so late: Harry Potter.

One thing that struck me about the article was the apparent lack of understanding that bloggers have regarding the nature of their craft. It is so public, and in my mind exposes the blogger so openly that I find it hard to understand. The new generation growing up obviously has a higher tolerance for personal sharing than I have.

52% of those surveyed said that they blogged to 'express themselves creatively'. I would like to see some statistics as to whether those same people do any kind of journaling. 76% said they want to share their personal experiences (particularly amongst younger users). I found this rather staggering because the internet is SO public. I was really mad at my father when he posted wedding pictures from my wedding on his web site. My students always come across them and I personally felt it was an invasion of my privacy.

What I think I find so bewildering is how so many people use blogs to 'stay in touch', and mostly with people they know in physical not digital world. To use such a exposed medium has a semblance of naivety to me. The only fact that makes me somewhat relax at this thought is the quote "In fact, a bit more than half of bloggers (55%) surveyed say they blog under a pseudonym or made-up name". So do the real life friends know who is behind the pseudonym? I assume they must.

Where does all this sharing fit in where you expose someone else, or upload photos of them online? Sharing can be a dangerous thing in a medium that you instantly lose control of. Someone else can inadvertantly threaten your safety and then what is your recourse? An online safety website, http://look-both-ways.com/stayingsafe/blogging.htm says,

"A blog is a great way to express yourself and broadcast your opinions. Unfortunately, public blogs are also used by criminals as a way to collect information that can be used to steal your identity, rob your home, harass or physically harm you, your children, or your friends."

This sharing community also becomes an issue for online bullying or harassment. People can troll your public blog, or post absurdities about you online. Where is your recourse for self protection?

I don't think the risks make using the internet for sharing information a bad idea. However, I think as a teacher or instructional designer we need to be hyper aware when we use the internet as a tool with students, or have them post there. So many kids use the internet to post intimate details about themselves and others. It seems like the new 'regrettable tattoo' of mistakes.

I liked this quote from an article written about blog bullying:

"Worse still, there's a degree of suspended reality involved in Internet communication. Without face-to-face interaction, we can't actually experience the consequences of our words"
http://media.www.michigandaily.com/media/storage/paper851/news/2007/06/11/Columns/Emmarie.Huetteman.Blog.Bullies-2913726.shtml

The term 'suspended reality' is perfect when speaking of the digital world. It is not unreal, and yet, it is not real. People do form lasting meaningful relationships online. However, they always need to meet in person, in the real world to broaden and expand those relationships.

No comments: